You can do all the exercise in the world and have the most low-calorie diet ever, but one tiny cheat meal and all the weight goes and lodges itself into your tummy. Especially if you’re a woman, you know what it feels like to wake up and find yourself staring at a huge belly in the mirror.
The weighing scale is not an accurate measure of your belly fat. It fails to distinguish between belly fat and water retention and displays the same weight regardless of whether it comes from fat or retention of water. This is also why you could be lean and have lots of muscle mass and weigh the same as a moderately obese individual who has less muscle but just the same amount of fat.
How to know if it’s actual belly fat or just water retention.
|Signs it is water weight
|Signs it is belly fat
|Maximum accumulation of fat around the tummy, ankles, and hips
|Belly fat is pinchable; you can pinch an inch unlike a bloated belly which is firm in texture
|Swollen face and puffy eyes
|High consumption of high-calorie foods
|High-sodium intake (packaged foods including frozen/canned stuff)
|Irregular times of eatings
|Excessive intake of refined carbs (pizza, cookies, noodles)
|Uniform weight gain throughout the body, including arms and thighs
What’s the solution?
In this post, we’ll talk about 100% natural drinks that:
- Improve digestive capacity and boost metabolism
- Strengthen liver functioning to enable detoxification
- Act as a diuretic to promote toxin elimination from the kidney
- Restore normalized hunger-fullness signals and induce post-meal satiety
- Increase breakdown of starch and galactooligosaccharides to reduce bloating
By targeting dual processes of digestion and detoxification, they allow proper waste removal, thus helping you de-bloat and get a flatter belly. Also, they accelerate metabolism, helping you lose stubborn belly fat. So whether it’s water retention or actual belly fat, these drinks are sure to help you look slimmer effortlessly!
Flat Belly Drink #1: Yoghurt
A nutritional powerhouse of vitamins and micronutrients, yoghurt is unarguably the most healthful addition you can make to your daily meal routine. It’s loaded with probiotics (good bacteria) and builds gut immunity- helping you fight off yeast (Candida) infections that often cause bloating and belly fat. Not just that, since yogurt drinks are live cultures, they directly boost digestive capacity, helping you evacuate your bowels with ease daily and getting rid of excess belly fat.
Best time to have yogurt: Morning or late afternoon
Healthful Yogurt combos: Yoghurt +
- 2 tbsp dark brown organic jaggery = Best Ayurvedic probiotic
- 1 tbsp raw honey + 1 tsp turmeric = Best face mask to treat sunburn
- 1 scoop whey protein powder = High-protein post-workout meal for summers
- Black pepper + rock salt = Post-sunset hydrating drink
- 1 tbsp crushed/grated ginger = Treatment for mouth ulcers
How to have yoghurt for weight loss: Do’s and Don’t’s
|Add rock salt for a savory drink or jaggery for sweetness
|Add table salt or refined sugar
|Combine with bottle gourd in raitas
|Combine with cucumber or boondi (fried chickpea flour)
|Have it plain and unsweetened
|Heat yogurt in curries or pastes
Flat Belly Drink #2: Coconut water
Another wholesome beverage fresh from the lap of Mother Nature is coconut water. It’s a 100% natural detox drink that comes pre-packaged in a ready-to-drink form. Full of potassium, vitamins, and manganese, coconut water defeats the prime culprit of bloating- sodium retention. It replenishes potassium balance and encourages waste removal from the kidneys, giving you a tighter, flatter midsection. Some of us have a tendency to bloat as the day goes by in such cases, having coconut water before lunch is highly recommended.
Best time to drink: Mid-morning (11:00 pm to 2:00 pm)
How does coconut water reduce belly fat?
- Contains digestive enzymes like catalase, diastase, and peroxidise that induce increased emptying of stomach due to efficient digestion of food
- Contains dietary fiber that minimizes acid reflux and bloating
- Curbs appetite and reduces hunger, helping you exercise portion control
- Low in fat/calories; keeps you full for long time and a great replacement for high-calorie snacks
Flat Belly Drink #3: Pineapple juice
If raw salads or fruits make you bloat easily, consider sipping on the mildly sweet and tart juice of pineapple chunks. It’s a rich source of digestive enzymes like bromelain that help melt away excess fat by increasing your daily calorie burn. As they say, good digestion is the key to weight loss. Pineapple juice does just that, which makes it a great replacement for soda to pair with your lunch menu.
How does pineapple juice reduce belly fat?
- Contains bromelain- a digestive enzyme that synergizes with gastric enzymes like lipase to break down unwanted visceral fat
- Acts as an antacid to improves post-meal digestion and reduces bloat instantly
- Increases satiety signals post-meal and suppresses appetite
- Great source of dietary fiber and thus regularizes normal cycles of digestion & bowel movement
Healthful pineapple juice combos: Blend 1 cup pineapple chunks +
- 1 cup mashed bananas = Post-workout drink for muscle recover
- ½ cup carrots + ripe papaya chunks = Antioxidant drink for skin glow
- Ground black pepper + ginger + mint = Cooling cocktail accompaniment for lunch
- ¼ cup apple chunks + water = Alkalizing detox morning drink
Flat Belly Drink #4: Aloe vera juice
Aloe vera juice, also known as Ghritkumari in Ayurveda is a miraculous tonic with wide-ranging benefits. It has the ability to benefit the body in a holistic manner, from increasing resting metabolic rate (RMR) to strengthening organs of the viscera to naturally facilitate detoxification.
How to take aloe vera juice for weight loss: Take 1 teaspoon of raw aloe vera juice 15 minutes before meal daily. In summers, it’s advisable to have it diluted in half-a-glass of plain water.
How does aloe vera juice reduce belly fat?
- Balances intestinal flora and increases population of good bacteria responsible for a healthy metabolism
- Acts as a controlled laxative to flush out toxins or metabolites arising from parasitic infections in the digestive tract
- Increases the digestion and removal of refined sugar and trans-fats before they immobilize and accumulate into stubborn belly fat
- Reduces sugar crashes after a heavy meal and stabilizes insulin response to blood sugar
- Treats both acute and chronic constipation
Healthful aloe vera juice combos: 1 tsp aloe vera juice
+ 1 tbsp raw honey: Good breakfast during intermittent fasting
+ ½ tsp lemon juice: Anti-tan face pack
+ ½ cup cucumber slices + ½ cup celery sticks blended together = Liver detox drink + mint + ginger root = Calming drink to reduce acidity
Flat Belly Drink #5: Apple cider vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is made by allowing apples to ferment until their natural sugars form ethanol. Bacteria then act upon this ethanol to produce acetic acid ( hence the name vinegar). Since the last 2 decades, it has gained tremendous popularity among nutritionists as a wonder food that bestows upon benefits like curing acne, reducing wrinkles, and of course, promoting weight loss. It is almost zero-calorie and devoid of fat or carbs, which makes it a great inclusion to intermittent fasting plans as well.
How to take ACV for weight loss: The general dose for ACV can vary between 1 to 2 tablespoons daily. For best results, have 1-2 tbsps of ACV diluted in 1 cup plain lukewarm water empty stomach in the morning.
How does ACV reduce belly fat?
- Contains acetic acid which stimulates fat-burning process and overall metabolism
- Suppresses appetite and hunger, keeps you full for long and reduces the urge to snack
- Improves body composition (muscle: fat ratio) by increasing greater calorie expenditure from fat burning versus burning of muscle mass
- Assists in the breakdown of dietary fats and prevents accumulation of excess body weight in the viscera
- Dieters taking ACV report consumption of fewer calories (200-275 calories less)
Healthful ACV combos: 1 tablespoon of raw ACV+
- 1 cup water + raw honey + 1 tsp lemon juice: immune-boosting throat tonic
- 1 tbsp black pepper/cayenne pepper + 1 tsp cinnamon powder = Metabolism booster
- 1 tbsp crushed ginger + 1 cup warm water: Mild laxative
Losing belly fat doesn’t just happen overnight. It’s a long-drawn process that takes time and effort. Ultimately, your diet is 80% responsible for how much fat you accumulate in your tummy. With that said, these aforementioned drinks do shift the needle slightly in your favor, by coaxing your body to speed up digestion and de-bloat, making you look visibly slimmer. Once again, don’t forget to pair them up with a healthy diet for the best results!
We look forward to your expert recommendations on flat belly drinks. Do let us know in the comment section if you have any suggestion in this regard.